Scent For Six
- Take a dog from complete novice to scent expert
- Learn how to teach using the most effective & efficient methods
- Understand how to build this knowledge into classes, workshops and behaviour modification
- What is scent?
- Training strong indication behaviour
- The pros and cons to starting your training with a target odour
- Two journeys to the brain
- Metrics and measurements
- The biology of the nose
- Sniffing and breathing
- To control or not to control: obedience in scent work
- How to lay searches: from the first trial to advanced work
- The behaviour of scent
- Using food in scent work: the pros and cons
- Using toys in scent work: the pros and cons
- Dummy drops and multiple finds
- Retro nasal olfaction
- The neurobiology of olfaction
- Searching for aged finds
- Proofing indications
- Scent boards
- Active buried finds
- Breed differences in olfaction: is scent work really for every dog?
- Social scent work
- Zoomemiotics: what they are and what they mean
- What motivates sniffing and The dopamine hypothesis
- Oxidation and the backtracking debate
- Odour recognition and the dishabituation method
- The pros and cons of errorless learning
- Line ups: what’s memory got to do with it?
- Blind searches
- Transferring scent
- Hot and cold: starting active and passive differently
- Perfecting a retrieve
- Using scent in behaviour modification
- Building a 6 week scent class
- Scent work workshops
- Competitive scent work
Nando, Jo and Dean make up the team that run The School of Canine Science, an education provider that teaches, trains and mentors dog trainers to reach their potential in a competitive industry.
All of our courses, either in person or online are firmly rooted in science and evidence with strong practical hand on elements.
Nando : has been working as a dog trainer and instructor for 14 years. Best known for his accessible style, impressive YouTube tutorials, big personality and awe-inspiring ability to train the tricky dogs that many people claim are un-trainable. Nando has appeared on multiple mainstream TV shows, presented around the world, authored books, hosted his own international radio show, receivied more than 20 million views on YouTube and has a Facebook following of over 26,000. Nando loves all areas of dog training but his true passion lies in scent detection.
Jo-Rosie : is an animal behaviourist with a degree in applied psychology and a post graduate in behaviour. Jo initially worked for a large rescue organisation before moving to a private behaviour clinic where she spent her time mainly working with section 1 and 3 dangerous dogs, resulting in her becoming an independent expert witness. Alongside a success career as a TV presenter jo has authored a number of books including the popular ‘The Real Dog Yoga’. Jo-Rosie also headed up the behaviour qualifications for the Institute of Modern Dog Trainers lecturing both in the UK and Internationally and writing the level OCN assessment process for behaviourists.
Dean : is a dog trainer with less than three years formal experience yet in that time he has managed to propel himself into the forefront of the industry with his intense theoretical knowledge and an masterful eye for precision. After completing a Masters Degree in Business and working for 16 years in the Technology Industry Dean is obsessed with systems, processes and measurement – leading to an eye for detail and an aptitude for clean, efficient training. Dean has worked behind the scenes on TV shows animal training but is probably best known for tricks & tutorials with his dog Sidney.